Monday, May 19, 2008

What She Said

I'm always thinking of Virgina Woolf and her "Room of One's Own." See, artists, I think--me especially--are always struggling with the big questions about what works and what doesn't. The question of whether words are the best possible way to explore an idea, to once and for all break patriarchy, to annihilate capitalism, to touch another person's soul, all these things. I think each of them are real, possible things, and I struggle with the idea that lining up words on paper will actually do any good. These big questions get in the way. They are paralyzing.

So, back to Woolf. I used to think she was full of crap. I knew, and still know, plenty of writers who have children tugging at their knees even as they plod away at their chapters and memoirs, or scrawl notes back and forth on their bus trips to and from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, for example. Writing doesn't really happen in a "room of your own," but it happens constantly, continuously, even if you want it to or not. But, of course, it occurred to me later--as obvious as this observation is, you still have to arrive at it yourself--this room of your own is really the space in which you have to force yourself to work without hearing these impossible-to-answer questions. (The questions that only lead to more questions, or return you back to the same old questions.)

If you sit down to write, and begin to wonder about how your tiny work of semi-skilled fiction will make any difference in the universe, you'll have no reason to continue. It's not about a physical place as much as mental space--room enough in your own head not to be bogged down by your own hideous bullshit. None of the rationale matters. But all art is like this, in general. Words or paint or opera. Right?

And a person like me, who has his hands is a few different big ideas--sustainable agriculture and localized economy, free political theater in your very own neighborhood, and equipping children to deal with the increasingly impossible future--I wonder sometimes how my writing has anything to do with any of it. I worry about how slow I am. About how I can't seem to move forward. About how sometimes I just don't give a shit about the novel and I'd rather go to the new Chronicles of Narnia movie. About how I want to lay in bed and think about food all day. About whether or not I want it enough. Do you know what I mean when I say, enough?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do. I ask myself that question all the time, about wanting it enough. And I've realized over time that I have to break that questions into two questions: do I want to write enough? do I want an audience enough? For me, I can't not write. (Same for you, fellow blogger and can't-stop writer.) But I really have to work up enthusiasm for wanting an audience, or, more specifically, for wanting a bigger audience. I make myself too happy with the feedback from the, like, 20 people who are willing to read me regularly. So... like a person who has to force herself to walk when she'd rather sit, I have to force myself to seek an audience when I'd rather stick to my own knitting.

2 Dads said...

absolutely know what you mean. sometimes, we don't even make these decisions on our own but life, as a momentum, takes over. i don't remember consciously choosing parenting over other pursuits but obviously that's what happened. that's what i (my subconscious) chose. i never gave enough to acting or directing to make a living but it was enough for me. we all have babies to care for when we grow up and your babies are your writing, your community projects, etc. you chose them and it may feel as if you are not moving forward but you are - and so are your babies. just like a "tiny work" a baby can seem like it makes no difference in the world, extremely insignificant that i change another goddamn diaper. on the other hand, it really is - or can be - the most profound pursuit. i imagine writing is similar. perhaps this is a question of faith.