Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie

The fabulous Jane noticed that I twittered (see right) about the making of two Blueberry Sour Cream pies over the weekend. She asked for the recipe. This pie is, hands down, my absolute favorite. On more than one occasion, I've eaten half the thing in one sitting. My mother will tell you that she's seen me eat it for breakfast about a hundred times, as well. It's fantastic--in my humble opinion, the ultimate mix of texture, temperature and flavor.

Blueberry Sour Cream Pie
(makes one 9" pie, serves 6-8. Or serves 2, if you're a pig, like me.)

Crust: Make your own, or buy a frozen one.

Filling:
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cups sugar
2 T flour
.25 t salt
1-2 t vanilla
2.5 cups fresh blueberries
Topping:
3 T flour
3 T butter, softened
3 T pecans, chopped (I always use much more than this, maybe a half-cup.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat together all the ingredients for the filling for a few minutes. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into the unbaked crust. Bake for 25 minutes. While the pie is baking, mix together the softened butter and flour until you make an even paste. Then mix in the chopped pecans, and mix with your fingers until you have a nice crumble. Remove the pie, crumble the topping all over, and then bake for 10 minutes more. Cool completely, then chill for at least 6 hours before serving.

It should look something like this:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this Weight Watchers approved?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've never used that much sugar; I use 3/4 cup of sugar. Are you sure you use that much? Maybe your blueberries aren't sweet enough. Taste one or two before you buy them, or go pick them yourself (like I do when I walk across to the Mackey's back 40)and get only the nicest ones. Don't use any pinkish berries, either. Pick out any stems also. And you can use walnuts in the topping if that's what you have. And I usually cover the edges of the pie crust with foil for the first 15 minutes so it won't burn.

I have made 4 pies this summer, and I could make 4 more and not get enough. Your dad wants me to try it with strawberries, but that seems disrespectful to me.

Lee Houck said...

SORRY! You are so correct about the sugar. But not about the walnuts. Walnuts are too bitter and meaty for this pie. But hey, whatever.

Anonymous said...

I finally made the pie! It's sooooo good. I will never make a plain ol' blueberry pie again.

I must confess to "revising" the recipe as I went. I used only 1/2 c. sugar. And, after I sprinkled on the topping, I sprinkled on a teaspoon of raw sugar. And, like your mom, I protected the crust during 15 minutes of the baking.

I did follow your advice about eating it for breakfast, however. Perfect.