Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Even Gayer Dishes

For dinner tonight, I'm making a roasted butternut squash risotto with grilled shrimp. I had a conversation with a friend of mine during the day about how bored we were with dinner lately. I texted him with my meal plan. He responded with only one word: gay. Surely there are gayer dishes than this one? Could anything be gayer than "Apricots and Blueberries in Lavender Broth," which I ate at Lutece, and which my mother decided was "the gayest dessert ever."

I wondered if I could come up with some even gayer dishes:
-Cornhole soufflé with Liza coulis.
-Ladyfingers sous-vide with gooseberry flambé.
-Bitterleaf brunoise on fiddlehead ficelle.
-Cock-au-Vin
And for your reference, in case you were wondering, here are some dishes that sound gay, but aren't:
-Bouillabaisse
-Steak Diane
-Meatballs
-Bag Balm (admittedly not a food.)
-Jerky

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should read some of the recipe names in the Alice B. Toklas cookbook. Talk about gay.

Is the Cornhole Souffle with Liza coulis a real recipe?

Lee Houck said...

No, dummy, it's not a real recipe. But imagine!

Unknown said...

Blow-pops?