Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Famous People

This week has been the week of famous people. On my way to work this morning I was practically run over by Stephen Sondheim running to hail a cab, and then when I turned the corner, there stood Kurt Vonnegut on his landing, smoking his morning cigarette and watching the window washers fill their buckets on the sidewalk.

On Saturday afternoon, I went to see Syriana downtown, where Billy Crudup sat in front of me with his girlfriend, Claire Danes. I wonder if Billy was ever a dancer; he has that dancer's posture. I learned from IMDB that he has been the voice of Mastercard's "Priceless" campaign since 1997.

Ms. Danes is very beautiful, and has that same blank slate quality about her in person that she has so well performed in Shopgirl, and in The Hours, which is, for me, one of her best performances. At one particularly unpleasant to watch moment of....well, torture in Syriana, she turned completely around in her seat and covered her eyes, cowering as if under bomb threat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess it is the week of famous people for you. I've heard a lot of people say that actors or actresses always seem so beautiful on screen but in real life, they actually don't. I had almost believed this until I saw Ms. Kidman. Yes, that Ms. Kidsman.